Saturday, March 13, 2010

CONSIDER JESUS CHRIST--HEBREWS 3:1-19

CONSIDER JESUS CHRIST
HEBREWS 3:1-19
Introduction:



Consider who Jesus Christ is. In the Scriptures He is referred to as “the Prophet,” “the Apostle,” and our “High Priest.”

In all of His offices He fulfills the will of the Father by becoming our “Saviour” as well. Let us look at what He is and has done on our behalf and in the process perhaps we will realize how much He loves us.

I. CONSIDER THE PROPHET, Jesus Christ



A. God promised a Prophet, Deuteronomy 18:15, 18, “The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken; 18-I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.”

1. “Of thy brethren,” a man, a Hebrew, John 1:45, “Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

2. “Like unto me,” a faithful man, Luke 24:19, “And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:”

B. This Prophet will speak the Word of God, Isaiah 50:4-6, “The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned. 5-The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back. 6-I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.”

1. He is the Christ, John 4:25-26, “The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26-Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.”

2. His message is the message of life, John 12:49-50, “For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50-And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.”

II. CONSIDER THE APOSTLE (a person sent by another; a messenger; envoy), Jesus Christ



A. He was sent by the Father, v. 3; John 20:21, “Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.”

B. As the Great Apostle He chose 12 disciples whom He name Apostles, Luke 6:13, “And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;”

1. They were first members of His Church, 1 Corinthians 12:28, “And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.”

2. As members of the first church He gave them the commission to “preach the gospel to every creature,” Matthew 28:18–20.

III. CONSIDER THE HIGH PRIEST, Jesus Christ



A. Made like His brethren that he might be a faithful High Priest, Hebrews 2:17, “Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.”

B. He is our great High Priest, Hebrew 4:14, “Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.”

1. He is “touched with the feeling of our infirmities,” Hebrews 4:15, “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.”

2. As our Forerunner He has entered into the presence of God before us, Hebrews 6:20, “Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.”

C. He has become our Savior by faith in His name, John 1:12, “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:”

1. Not only is He the Messiah of Israel, but a light for the Gentiles as well, Isaiah 49:6, “And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.”

2. He has changed our hearts so that we are able to love as the Lord has loved us, 1 John 5:1, “Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.”

CONCLUSION



Jesus Christ is dearly loved by those who know Him as Savior. He is truly our Prophet, our Apostle, our great High Priest, and our Savior. There is so much more to be said about another title of our Lord, that of “KING,” but space and time will not allow for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment