THE DOCTRINE OF THE CHURCH PART 2
BAPTISM AND THE LORD'S SUPPER (Continued)
MEMORY VERSE: I COR. 11:26
II. THE ORDINANCE OF THE LORD'S SUPPER.
A. The PLACE Of The Lord's Supper In The Church. It is not a method of fellowship between Christians, but it is an ordinance to be practiced in the local Church, by the members of that local Church.
1. Jesus instituted it in the church. Matt. 26:20,26. Remember that the apostles were placed in the church first. I Cor. 12:28. Not everyone who loved Jesus were invited. Neither Mary, Martha or Lazarus were invited to the Supper. Even the mother of Jesus was not invited.
2. The order of events in the great commission, reveal that it is to be in the church. Matt. 28:19,20
a. Teaching all nations the gospel.
b. Baptizing the ones who believe and are saved. This puts them in the local church.
c. Teaching them to observe all things and this would include the Lord's Supper. We cannot reverse this order and be Scriptural.
3. The order practiced by the Jerusalem Church places the Lord's Supper in the church. Acts 2:41,42,47
a. They received the word they were saved.
b. They were baptized this placed them in the Church. c. It was observed by those who were sound in doctrine. Acts 2:42
4. Paul taught that the Lord's Supper was in the Church. I Cor. 1:2; 11:2; 11:18,20
5. The church forbidden to eat with those living in sin. I Cor. 5:7-11. The church has a right to judge those in her membership. I Cor. 5:12. If the church invites all Christians to partake of the Lord's Supper, then how can they obey the above Scriptures?
6. Paul rebuked the Corinthian Church for trying to observe the Lord's Supper when there were divisions and heresies among them. I Cor. 11:17-22
7. We should not fellowship with those who are not sound doctrinally or who do not live Godly. II Thess. 3:6, I Tim. 6:1-5
B. The PURPOSE Of The Lord's Supper.
Two false theories are taught concerning the Lord's Supper. (1) The Roman Catholic theory of "Transubstantiation", meaning that when the priest prays over the bread and wine, they are changed into the literal body and blood of our Lord. (2) The Lutheran theory of "Consubstantiation", meaning, that when a prayer is prayed over the emblems, the body and blood of our Lord are united with the emblem.
THE TRUTH is the Lord's Supper commemorates and symbolizes certain great Bible truths.
1. The unleavened bread symbolizes His pure sinless body that was broken for us. Matt. 26:26, I Cor. 11:24
2. The cup the fruit of the vine symbolizes His shed blood. Matt. 26:26-29; I Cor. 11:25. See Lev. 17:11; I Pet. 1:18,19; I John 1:7.
3. Both of these show the Lord's death. I Cor. 11:26
4. Both are to be kept until He comes. I Cor. 11:26
5. How often? "As often". I Cor. 11:26. This seems to exclude a rigid regular set time.
C. The PREPARATION For The Lord's Supper.
1. It is sinful and dangerous to abuse the observance of the Lord's Supper. I Cor. 11:27-32
2. Each person to examine self. I Cor. 11:28 This calls for: Reflection--- Inspection--Correction.
3. Three questions each person should consider.
a. Am I right with God?
b. Am I right with the Church?
c. Am I right with my fellow Christians? See: I John 1:5-10; Matt. 5:21-24.