THE DOCTRINE OF CIVIL GOVERNMENT
MEMORY VERSE: MATT.22:21 READ: ROM. 13:1-7
I. HUMAN GOVERNMENT IS OF DIVINE ORIGIN.
A. God Himself Approves Of Nations And Civil Government.
1. He promised to make a great nation of Abraham. Gen. 12:2
2. He promised to make a great nation of Ishmael. Gen. 17:20
3. He promised to bless all the nations of the earth through Abraham. Gen. 8:18
B. God's Word Teaches Nationalism And NOT Internationalism.
1. No Scripture instructs man to set up a world government.
2. It does however, teach about many nations.
3. God stopped man's early attempt to build a one world government at Babel. Gen. 11:1 -9
4. The Anti-christ will seek to establish a one world government.
C. The Authority Of Civil Government.
1. They have the authority to make laws and enforce them. (a)-1 Rom. 13:1-3; (a)-3 Ex. 18:22
2. The death penalty should be exercised by civil government. Gen. 9:6 8,12, Ex.
21:12. For more information, see Tract # B-320, "Is The Death Penalty Scriptural?"; by E. L. Bynum.
D. The Responsibility Of Civil Government.
1. To provide honest men to rule. (a)-1-2 II Sam. 23:3; Ex. 18:21-22
2. They are to execute judgment speedily and correctly. Ezra 7:26; Eccl. 8:11
E. The Responsibility Of Christian Citizens.
1. Rulers are to be treated with respect. (b)-1 Acts 23:5
2. Taxes are to be paid. Matt. 17:27; (b)-2 Matt. 22:21; Rom. 13:6
3. We are to obey laws and rulers. (b)-3-4-5 Titus 3:1; I Pet. 2:13,14; 2:17
4. We are to pray for rulers. I Tim. 2:1-3
II. DIVINE GOVERNMENT IS OF HIGHER ORIGIN.
A. There Are Limits To Civil Government.
1. If obeying man's law causes us to disobey God, then we are to obey God rather than man. (c)-1-2-3 Acts 5:29 4:19-20; Dan. 3:17-18
2. This does not mean that we can disobey laws that are unjust, unliked, etc., BUT it is to be done only when to obey man would cause us to disobey God.
B. We Have No Right To Limit Divine Government.
1. We are to obey God now. (d)-1-2 Matt. 10:28; 23:10
2. One day all will obey Him. (d)-3-4-5 Rev. 19:16, Phil. 2:10-11; Psa. 72:11