Tuesday, March 16, 2010

GOD HAS MADE A COVENANT WITH ME--II SAMUEL 23:1-7

GOD HAS MADE A COVENANT WITH ME
II SAMUEL 23:1-7
Key verse: v. 5.



Introduction:



When God deals with you and me it is on a personal level. He does not deal you and me, but with me as an individual. I am not concerned with you at that time. I am thinking of my needs, my spiritual needs. Consider the following thoughts:



I. “HE” HAS MADE A COVENANT WITH ME



A. This covenant is divine in its origin, Genesis 9:12-13, “And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.”



B. God, the everlasting Father, is the author, Isaiah 9:6, “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.”



1. Jesus is the Author and finisher of this covenant, Hebrews 12:2, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”



2. He is the Prince of the kings of the earth, Revelation 1:5, “And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,”



3. El Shaddai, the Lord all powerful, Exodus 6:3, “And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.”



II. HE HAS MADE A COVENANT WITH “ME,”



A. It is of PARTICULAR APPLICATION, “with me,” Matthew 11:28-29, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.”



1. It is NOTHING TO ME that he made peace for the world, John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”



2. I want to have HOPE that he has made a covenant “WITH ME,” Hebrews 6:18-19, That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: 19 WHICH HOPE WE HAVE AS AN ANCHOR OF THE SOUL, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;”



B. He has given me ASSURANCE that this covenant that He made WITH ME” will be kept, 2 Timothy 1:12, “For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that HE IS ABLE to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.”



1. I have a SPIRITUAL KNOWLEDGE of the Lord, Psalms 9:10, “And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.”



2. God is for ME, Psalms 56:9, “When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.”



3. He is MY Lord, Philippians 3:8, “Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,”



III. HE HAS MADE AN “EVERLASTING” COVENANT WITH ME



A. This covenant is everlasting in its duration, Luke 1:32-33, “He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and OF HIS KINGDOM THERE SHALL BE NO END.”



1. An everlasting covenant means a covenant which had no beginning, and which shall never end, Ezekiel 16:60, “Nevertheless I will REMEMBER my covenant with thee in the days of thy youth, and I will ESTABLISH unto thee an everlasting covenant.”



2. God has promised that this covenant with not be broken or alter in any way, Hebrews 6:18, “That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:”



a. It is impossible for God to lie, Titus 1:2, “In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;”



b. Therefore, we have STRONG CONSOLATION, Isaiah 66:10-13, “Rejoice ye with Jerusalem, and be glad with her, all ye that love her: rejoice for joy with her, all ye that mourn for her: 11 That ye may suck, and be satisfied with the breasts of her consolations; that ye may milk out, and be delighted with the abundance of her glory. 12 For thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream: then shall ye suck, ye shall be borne upon her sides, and be dandled upon her knees. 13 As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.”



CONCLUSION



The Lord has made a covenant with me that requires me to trust in Jesus Christ as my Savior. God has promised that He will never forsake me, Deuteronomy 31:6, 8, “Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. 8 And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment