GOD PROVIDED BETTER THINGS
The text speaks of the “better things” of the New Testament. The Old Testament saints accomplished many things, but we have been blessed beyond what they were in God’s service.
In the next few minutes I hope to share with you some to these things that we find in this book of Hebrews. They are truly a blessing.
I. THE NEW COVENANT SPEAKS OF BETTER THINGS
Hebrews 12:24, “And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.”
A. Abel’s sacrifice was better than Cain’s, Hebrews 11:4, “By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.”
B. Jesus sacrifice was better than Abel’s. Hebrews 9:23, “It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.”
1. Abel offered an animal, Hebrews 10:4, “For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.”
2. Jesus offered Himself, Hebrews 10:10, “By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.”
II. A BETTER HOPE
Hebrews 7:19, “For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.”
A. The Law made nothing perfect, Romans 3:19-20, “Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
1. The Law was given that the entire world might become guilty before God, Romans 3:19, “Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.”
2. Therefore, by the deeds of the Law no one is justified, Galatians 3:10-11, “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.”
B. The bringing of a better hope made things perfect.
1. Grace and Truth came by Jesus Christ, John 1:17, “For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
2. God sent His own Son to condemn sin in the flesh, Romans 8:3, “For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:”
III. THE GUARANTEE OF A BETTER TESTAMENT.
Hebrews 7:22, “By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.”
A. An Everlasting covenant, Hebrews 13:20, “Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant.”
B. Jesus is the Mediator of a Better covenant, Hebrews 8:6, “But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.”
1. He obtained a more excellent ministry:
a. He is the Mediator of a better covenant, Galatians 3:19-20, “Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. 20Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.”
b. He is the guarantor of the new covenant, Hebrews 7:22, “By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament. “
2. It was established upon better promises, 2 Peter 1:4, ” Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”
Jesus is the author of a better covenant. We are the partakers of this covenant by faith in Jesus Christ. This covenant is based on the DEATH OF CHRIST ON THE CROSS. Anything other than this covenant is a counterfeit and God does not honor it.
Don’t delude yourself to think that there is any other way than God’s way of salvation. Jesus Christ is “THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE. He said “no man cometh unto the Father but by me.” John 14:6.