Sunday, March 21, 2010

THE LIFE AND DEATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS--PHILIPPIANS 1:20-26

THE LIFE AND DEATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS
PHILIPPIANS 1:20-26
Introduction:

Paul was a great admirer of Christ. He desired to know nothing but Christ, 1 Corinthians 2:2, “For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.”

There is no medicine like the blood of Christ and Paul was a man that preached the blood of Christ, Romans 5:9, “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

The Apostle lived for Christ, Our text, Philippians 1:21, says, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” He knew that living for the Lord was vital the God’s work, so he
I. FOR ME TO LIVE IS CHRIST

A. Christ was Paul’s LIFE, Colossians 3:4, “When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.”

B. Christ was the PRINCIPLE of Paul’s life

1. Christ lives in me, Galatians 2:20, “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

2. Christ was all Paul wanted to know, 1 Corinthians 2:2, “For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.”

C. Christ was the END of Paul’s life, “for me to live is Christ,” Romans 14:8, “For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s.”

1. Like a merchant we trade for Christ’s interest, Philippians 1:20, “According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.”

2. We propagate His Gospel, 1 Corinthians 1:17-18, “For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18- For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.”

3. The design of our life is to exalt Christ as the Father has, Philippians 2:9, “Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:”

D. Christ was the JOY of Paul’s life, Psalm 43:4, “Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.”

1. Paul’s joy was the people that had trusted Christ as Savior, 1 Thessalonians 2:19, “For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?”

2. His desire was to cause God’s people to rejoice, Philippians 1:25, “And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;”

II. TO THE BELIEVER DEATH IS GREAT GAIN “AND TO DIE IS GAIN”

A. The Believer shall gain his release from sin and trouble, Psalm 31:10, “For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed.”
Augustine said, “Life begins with a cry, and ends with a groan.”

B. Believers at death will see the Lord.

1. We see Him now in our mind’s eye through the Word of God as…

a. The way, the truth, and the life, John 14:6, “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

b. The Bread of life, John 6:35, “And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.”

c. The eternal God, the I AM, John 8:58, “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.”

2. The believer shall see the glorious sight of God.

a. The Sun of Righteousness, Malachi 4:2, “But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.”

b. We will see Him on His throne, Revelation 22:1-3, “And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2- In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. 3- And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:”

No comments:

Post a Comment