LOOKING FOR A CITY
The description given here is the city of God, the New Jerusalem. Abraham looked by faith for a promised land, a land that flowed with milk and honey. The description below is of that perfect land where we will dwell with the God of Heaven in perfect peace and harmony.
We can only imagine the beauty that we will behold in that day because of our finite minds. However, it will surpass every expectation that we might have without doubt. Now consider Abraham in what he had to do at God’s bidding.
I. ABRAHAM WAS CALLED TO GO OUT
A. He obeyed, not knowing where he went, v. 8, “By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.”
B. He believed God, Romans 4:20-21, “He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; 21-And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.”
C. He traveled by faith, v. 9, “By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:”
1. To a promised land, Genesis 12:1, “Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee:” Genesis 13:15, “For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.”
2. This land his heirs would inherit, Genesis 15:18, “In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:”
II. ABRAHAM WAS CALLED TO LOOK FOR A CITY
A. This city has foundations, Hebrews 11:10, “For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.”
1. That foundation is Jesus Christ, 1 Corinthians 3:11, “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.”
2. That foundation is built on the immutable purposes of God, 2 Timothy 1:9, Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.” Hebrews 6:18, “That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:”
3. That foundation rest on the almighty power of God, 2 Peter 1:3, “According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:”
B. That City is built on the infinite and holy merits of Jesus Christ, 1 Peter 4:11, “If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”
1. On the mediation of Jesus Christ, 1 Timothy 2:5, “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;”
2. On the promises of an everlasting covenant, Genesis 17:19, “And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.”
3. On the purity of the glory of God, Revelation 21:2, “And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.”
4. The perfection of its inhabitants, Ephesians 4:13, “Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:”
The city’s builder is God, Hebrews 11:10, “For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.”
1. God designed the model.
2. He made it according to His plan.
3. He has opened a new and living way into it, that is, through Jesus Christ.
4. He prepared it for his people.
5. They enter by faith in Jesus Christ.