Wednesday, March 10, 2010

PRIVILEGES OF GOD’S CHILDREN-MATTHEW 5:9

PRIVILEGES OF GOD’S CHILDREN
MATTHEW  5:9
“Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.”

Introduction:

There are some glorious privileges given to God’s children. These are things enjoyed only by those who have trusted the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour.

These things are reflected in His love for His children; in His patience regarding their weaknesses; in His protection of His children in this life. We see them in His revelations to His children regarding the truth of His Word; in the freedom His children enjoy in Christ; in His blessing and how He works all things for their good; and in His eternal protection of their souls.

I. GOD’S LOVE AND AFFECTION TOWARD US

A. As God’s children He has tender love toward us, Psalm 103:13, “Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.”

1. “Pitieth” means “mercy,” which is a manifestation of God love, Jeremiah 31:20, “Is Ephraim my dear son? is he a pleasant child? for since I spake against him, I do earnestly remember him still: therefore my bowels are troubled for him; I will surely have mercy upon him, saith the LORD.”

2. God shows a difference toward His children, Revelation 3:19, “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.”

a. God afflicts with the same with which He adopts.

b. Affection is argument for sonship, Hebrews 12:7, “If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?”

B. God manifests His love for us in the things we endure.

1. God had one Son without sin, but He has no sons without stripes, Psalm 89:31, “Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. 33Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.”

2. God admonishes to walk with care in the world, Ephesians 5:15-16, “See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.”

a. Not as fools {godless, immoral}, Proverbs 1:7, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

b. But as wise {walk circumspectly, i.e., perfectly; to look with care}, Ephesians 5:17-18, “Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. 18And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;”

3. The trial of your faith is much more precious than of gold, 1 Peter 1:7, “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:”

a. Afflictions are refining, Proverbs 17:3, “The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD trieth the hearts.” “Fiery trials make golden Christians.” ---Thomas Watson.

b. Afflictions are purifying, Daniel 12:10, “Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.”

4. The eyes that sin shuts, affliction opens, 2 Chronicles 33:112-13, “And when he was in affliction, he besought the LORD his God, and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers, 13And prayed unto him: and he was intreated of him, and heard his supplication, and brought him again to Jerusalem into his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the LORD he was God.”

II. GOD PATIENTLY BEARS WITH OUR MANY FLESHLY WEAKNESSES

A. A father bears with a child that he loves, Malachi 3:17, “And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.”

B. God’s love does not make Him blind. He sees sin in his people, but not with the eye of revenge, but rather love, 1 Corinthians 13:4a, “Charity suffereth long, and is kind.”

C. He sees His children as a physician does a disease in his patient, Luke 5:31-32, “And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. 32I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

III. GOD ACCEPTS OUR IMPERFECT SERVICE

A. He accepts those who will willingly lose their life for Him, Luke 9:24, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.”

1. Preserving our lives, Luke 17:33, “Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.”

2. Regardless of the difficulties, Acts 20:23-24, “Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. 24But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.”

B. He accepts those who have a willing heart for His work, Exodus 35:5, “Take ye from among you an offering unto the LORD: whosoever is of a willing heart, let him bring it, an offering of the LORD;”

1. Whose heart stirs him up, Exodus 35:21, “And they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit made willing, and they brought the LORD’S offering to the work of the tabernacle of the congregation, and for all his service, and for the holy garments.”

2. “According as he purposeth in his heart,” 2 Corinthians 9:7, “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful [ joyous ] giver.”

IV. GOD PROTECTS AND PROVIDES FOR US IN THIS LIFE

A. We are NOT to worry about our needs, Matthew 6:31-32, “Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.”

1. Following God’s directions, Leviticus 25:3-7, 18-22.

a. The Directions, vs. 3-7

b. The Promise, “ye shall dwell in the land in safety.” vs. 18-22

2. Trusting in the Lord, Psalm 37:3-5, “Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. 4Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. 5Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.”

a. Trust, Hebrews 6:10-11, “For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. 11And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:”

b. Delight, Psalm 34:4-5, “Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God. 5Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.”

c. Commit (Roll thy way upon), Proverbs 16:3, “Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.”

B. His PROVISION to meet those needs, Matthew 6:33, “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

1. The first priority, 1 Kings 17:13, “And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.”

2. God will take care during all of our years, Genesis 48:15, “And he blessed Joseph, and said, God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day.”

3. Fear not, Luke 12:32, “Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”

V. GOD REVEALS TO US THE GREAT THINGS OF HIS WORD

A. These things have been HID from the “WISE,” Matthew 11:25, “At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.”

1. Because… Matthew 13:11, “He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.”

2. For this people’s heart… Matthew 13:15, “For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”

3. Hear ye therefore… Matthew 13:17, “For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.”

B. As a loving Father, He TEACHES us, Psalm 143:10, “Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.”

1. He teaches us to PROFIT, Isaiah 48:17, “Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.”

2. He teaches us TO SEE what is veiled to the eyes of others as in the case of the young man with Elisha who saw the horses and chariots of fire, 2 Kings 6:17, “And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.”

VI. GOD GIVE US FREEDOM IN CHRIST

A. Freedom to approach the throne of grace in prayer with boldness, Hebrews 4:16, “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”

1. By the blood of Jesus, Hebrews 10:19, “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus.”

2. With confidence, Ephesians 3:12, “In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.”

B. Freedom from “law of sin and death,” Romans 8:2, “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.”

1. Grace reigns through righteousness, Romans 5:21, “That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.”

2. Having been made free from sin, we are become servants of righteousness, Romans 6:18, 22, “Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness, 22But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.”

C. Freedom of the fear of men, Hebrews 13:6, “So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.”

1. Boldness based in trust, Genesis 15:1, “After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.”

2. The Lord is on our side, Psalm 118:6, “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?”

3. Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the hands of men, Daniel 3:16, “Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter. 17If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.”

D. Freedom and boldness to speak of the mystery of the gospel of Christ, Ephesians 6:19-20, “And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.”

VI. GOD GIVE US GREAT BLESSINGS AND DOES THINGS FOR OUR GOOD

A. Good things work for good to God’s children.

1. David was overcome with God’s mercy, 2 Samuel 7:18, “Then went king David in, and sat before the LORD, and he said, Who am I, O Lord GOD? and what is my house, that thou hast brought me hitherto?”

2. The mercies of God make His children more fruitful, Psalm 89:1, “I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.”

3. The Word of God works for good to God’s children, Proverbs 30:5, “Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.”

a. It is the staff of life, Luke 4:4, “And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.”

b. Blessed are those WHO KEEP His Word, Luke 11:28, “But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.”

B. Evil things work for good to God’s children, Psalm 112:4, “Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.”

1. God has chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith, James 2:5, “Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?”

2. God strengthens the inward man day by day, 2 Corinthians 4:16, “For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.”

3. God’s heroes of faith were made strong out of weakness, Hebrews 11:32-34, “And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: 33Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.”

CONCLUSION

The great privileges of God’s children have been many. However, the greatest of all is the privilege to serve the One who died in my place. Even though our service is hindered by our sin nature, God still accepts it when given out of a will heart. God help us to be willing to honor and glorify Him with our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment