Saturday, March 13, 2010

A REST FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD--HEBREWS 4:9

A REST FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD
HEBREWS 4:9, “There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.”



Revelation 14:13, “And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.”



Introduction:



The Apostle Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 2:9, “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” We can imagine in our wildest dreams how wonderful heaven will be for the born-again Christian.



There is a rest for the people of God and it will be glorious. In the following thoughts are some things that may give us some encouragement about what lies ahead of us who know Jesus Christ as Savior.



I. HERE…ON EARTH



A. The Believer is born to toil, Genesis 3:19, “In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”



B. The Believer is born to suffer weariness, Galatians 6:9, “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.”



II. BUT THERE IN HEAVEN



A. Fatigue is never known, Matthew 11:28, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”



B. Our burdens are relieved, Hebrews 4:3, “For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.”



III. HERE ON EARTH



A. Rest is in our HOPE and partial for now, Psalms 16:9, “Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.”



B. Rest is temporary, Psalms 37:7, “Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.”



C. The Christian is always unsettled; he feels that he has not yet attained, Psalms 38:3, “There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.”



IV. THERE,



A. All are at rest, Psalms 55:6, “And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.”



B. Rest is perfect, Isaiah 32:17-18, “And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever. 18 And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places;”



V. HERE, THE BELIEVER IS ANXIOUS TO SERVE HIS MASTER



A. He finds his strength unequal to his zeal, 2 Corinthians 12:10, “Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”



B. His constant cry is, “Help me to serve thee, O my God,” Psalms 38:22, “Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.”



“My best joys bear “mortal” on their brow; my fair flowers fade; my dainty cups are drained to dregs; my sweetest birds fall before Death’s arrows; my most pleasant days are shadowed into nights; and the flood tides of my bliss subside into ebbs of sorrow.” --Charles H. Spurgeon.



VI. BUT THERE IN HEAVEN



A. Everything is immortal, 1 Corinthians 15:53-54, “For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.”



1. The crown unwithered, 1 Corinthians 9:25, “And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.”



2. The eye not dimmed, 1 John 3:2, “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”



3. The voice unfaltering, Revelation 5:9, “And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;”



4. The heart does not hesitate to give all praise to the Lord, Revelation 19:1, “And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God:”



B. The immortal believer is completely absorbed in infinite delight, Hebrews 13:15, “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.”



CONCLUSION



Heaven Is A Wonderful Place
by O. A. Lambert

 

Heaven is a wonderful place

Filled with glory and grace

I want to see my Savior's Face

Heaven is a wonderful place

 

Heaven is a wonderful place

Filled with glory and grace

I want to see my Savior's Face

Heaven is a wonderful place

 

Jesus will return some day

He has shown the way

He will come with power and grace

Heaven is a wonderful place




The earth will pass away

No man knows the day

The world is gone without a trace

Heaven is a wonderful place



Streets are paved with gold

We will never grow old

Daily see Him face to face

Heaven is a wonderful place

No comments:

Post a Comment