SATAN IS LOOSED OUT OF PRISON, THE BOTTOMLESS PIT
Revelation 20:3, 7.
In this study we will see God’s plan continuing as He looses Satan upon the world again. Satan has been in prison for a thousand years and now God turns him loose to deceive the nations for the last time.
I. GOD PERMITS SATAN TO COME OUT OF HIS PRISON.
A. The absolute corruption and utter depravity of unregenerate man is demonstrated.
1. During the millennium the Lord Himself rules the nations in perfect justice, Revelation 11:15, “And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.”
2. There is peace on the earth.
3. Satan has been imprisoned so that he cannot deceive man.
4. Man’s environment is perfect with nothing to cause him to fail.
B. Man fails because his nature is evil and not because of his environment.
1. Job said that man is full of trouble, Job 14:1, “Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble.”
2. David said that man is conceived in sin, that is, he is already a sinner when born, Psalm 51:5, “Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.”
II. SATAN GOES OUT TO DECEIVE THE NATIONS.
A. Satan will find many who will believe his lie and are ready to serve him, v. 8, “And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.”
B. This last battle is after the reign of Christ.
C. Gog and Magog are not the same as in Ezekiel 38.
1. This is not the battle of Armageddon. That was fought a thousand years before this battle.
2. This is a second battle.
D. This last battle will be bloodless for fire comes down from God and devours them, v. 9, “And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.” Numbers 1:51, “And when the tabernacle setteth forward, the Levites shall take it down: and when the tabernacle is to be pitched, the Levites shall set it up: and the stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death.”
III. SATAN, THE DEVIL, IS CAST INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE.
A. Twice Satan tried to destroy God’s creation.
1. He tempted Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, Genesis 3:1-24.
2. He deceived the nations at the close of the Millennium, Revelation 20:7-8.
B. This passage certainly teaches that the Lake of Fire is a place of conscious suffering for all eternity.
1. The Beast (Antichrist) and the False Prophet were put there a thousand years before and are still there.
2. The Devil is cast into the same literal fire prepared for him, Matthew 25:41, Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:”
3. “Forever and ever” means throughout all eternity, v. 10, “And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.”
C. God will purge the earth with fire at this time also.
1. The earth will be destroyed by fire, 2 Peter 3:7, “But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.”
2. These events will happen suddenly, 2 Peter 3:10, “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.”
3. Then we look for the new heaven and new earth, 2 Peter 3:13, “Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.”
Here we come to the conclusion of the Millennium and the events that terminate the Age of the Grace of God. The next series of events brings us to consider the teaching regarding the Judgements of God, in particular, the Great White Throne Judgement of God where all of the lost will appear before the Lord to determine their degree of punishment in Hell.