WHO IS JESUS?
This week the world will celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. However, the world does not know our Lord. All of this is mere religion that has nothing to do with Jesus Christ.
Men and women will get drunk, prostitute themselves and sin in every way imaginable in Christmas parties. They will see the “baby Jesus” in dramas and films and hear preachments about “the birth of Christ.” However, none of this will affect the heart of these people. WHY? Because they do not know who Jesus is.
I. THE “BABY JESUS” IS NOT THE SAVIOR.
A. It is truth that Jesus was born of a virgin, Isaiah 7:14, “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”
B. It is true that Jesus is the Promised Savior, Luke 2:11, “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”
C. It is true that he was born in Bethlehem of Judah, Micah 5:2, “But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.”
D. But Jesus as a Baby CANNOT SAVE anyone.
II. JESUS THE GOOD TEACHER IS NOT THE SAVIOR
A. The One who taught the truth in the Temple, Mark 14:49, “I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.”
B. The One who fed the multitudes, Matthew 14:14-21; Luke 9:10-17.
C. The One who calmed the raging waters of the sea, Mark 4:36-41.
D. All of this is part of His story.
III. THE JESUS ON THE CRUCIFIX IS NOT THE SAVIOR.
A. The Crucifix is the symbol of Sin, Romans 6:1-2, “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2-God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?”
B. The Crucifix is a symbol of Judgment, Romans 5:18, “Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.”
C. The Crucifix is a symbol of Suffering, Matthew 16:21, “From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.”
D. The Crucifix is NOT a symbol of Salvation.
IV. JESUS, THE ONE WHO ROSE FROM THE DEAD, IS THE SAVIOR.
A. Jesus was born exactly as it was said earlier in this message, Galatians 4:4, “But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,”
1. He was born of a VIRGIN, Isaiah 7:14.
2. He was born in BETHLEHEM, Micah 5:2.
3. He was the PROMISED SAVIOR, Isaiah 19:20.
B. He was the good TEACHER of the Truth; He taught ALL of the Truth, John 8:40, “But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not.”
1. He FED the multitudes as the Scriptures say.
2. He CURED the sick and RAISED the dead.
C. Jesus DIED ON THE CROSS according to the Scriptures.
1. He SUFFERED because of our sins on the Cross.
2. He PAID for our sins on the Cross, John 19:30, “When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.”
3. He DIED for our sins that we might live, 2 Corinthians 5:21, “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
D. But HE WAS RAISED FROM THE DEAD for our justification, Romans 3:25, “Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.” Romans 5:18, “Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.”
1. He overcame death, 1 Corinthians 15:55-57, “O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56-The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57-But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
2. He justifies those that trust in Him, Romans 3:24, “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:”
Jesus invites the unbeliever to believe in Him. Matthew 11:28 says, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”