Saturday, March 13, 2010

THE WORD OF CONTENTMENT--LUKE 23:46

THE WORD OF CONTENTMENT
LUKE 23:46
“And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.”

Introduction:



Jesus, having finished the work that the Father gave Him to do, is now back in full communion with the Father. In this scene we see Jesus as perfectly yielded to His Father. Herein is also revealed the absolute uniqueness of our Savior.



I. BACK IN FELLOWSHIP WITH THE FATHER.



A. The cup of God’s wrath had been drunk, John 18: 11, “Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?”



1. The Lord had prayed to the Father about this cup, Luke 22:41-43, “And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, 42-Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. 43-And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.”



2. The determination to do the Father’s will, v. 42b, “nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.”



3. The angel of the Lord strengthen Him, v. 43, “And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.”



B. Now Jesus, having fulfilled the Scriptures regarding His suffering, was again in full fellowship with the Father.



1. Jesus had suffering at the hands of men.



2. Jesus had suffered at the hand of God.



3. But now “It is finished.”



a. The cup had been drained.



b. The awful storm of God’s wrath had spent itself.



c. The darkness was passed.



d. The sword of divine justice was sheathed.



e. The wages of sin had been paid.



f. The prophecies of His sufferings were all fulfilled.



g. The Cross had been “endured.”



h. Divine holiness had been fully satisfied.



II. JESUS CHRIST WAS PERFECTLY YIELDED TO THE FATHER.



A. Jesus was always about the Father’s business, Luke 2:49, “And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?”



B. He lived by the Word of God, Matthew 4:4, “But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.”



C. He was not moved to action by natural affection, but by the Glory of God, John 11:4, “When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.”



D. His purpose was to do the will of the Father.



1. See Him in the morning in the presence of the Father, Mark 1:35, “And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.”



2. See Him anticipating every great crisis and preparing Himself for it by pouring out His heart in supplication.



3. See Him spending the very last hour before His arrest on His face before God.



E. He left us an example in everything He did.



III. THE ABSOLUTE UNIQUENESS OF THE SAVIOR.



A. The Lord Jesus died as none other ever died, Luke 23:46, “…Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit:”



1. His life was not taken from Him.



2. He laid down His life of Himself, John 10:17-18, “Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18-No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.”



B. “Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit.” Here the Holy Spirit uses three different Greek words in the Gospels to describe the Lord’s death.



1. Jesus dismissed His spirit (this speaks of His authority), Matthew 27:50, “Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.”



2. Jesus “breathed out His spirit.” This shows His passive endurance of death. Mark 15:37, “And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.” Luke 23:46, “And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.”



3. As One who has power over death, Jesus “delivers up” His spirit to the Father, John 19:30, “When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.”



C. Jesus’ uniqueness was manifested in:



1. His birth. Born of a virgin.



2. His life. Lived without sin.



3. His death. In “laying down” His life, His death was differentiated from all other deaths. He died by an act of His own volition!



CONCLUSION



“The head that once was crowned with



Thorns, is crowned with glory now;



A royal diadem adorns the mighty Victor’s brow.



The King of kings and Lord of lords,



and Heaven’s eternal Light.



The Joy of all who dwell above,



The Joy of all below,



To whom He manifests His love, and Grants His name to know.”

No comments:

Post a Comment