Monday, March 15, 2010

WORSHIP THE LORD--EXODUS 34:10-17

WORSHIP THE LORD
EXODUS 34:10-17
Key verse - 14, “For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:”

Introduction:
Isaiah 2:8, “Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:” Today the idols of man are his material things. His pursuits for wealth and prestige have turned him away from the worship of the True God.
The Lord declares in His Word that “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” John 4:24.

I. WORSHIP THE LORD IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH
A. The Day of Worship, Acts 20:7, “And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.”
1. A day that Jesus met with His disciples, John 20:19, “Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
2. A day of fellowship, Acts 2:42, “And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.”
B. The Danger of diversion, Deuteronomy 11:16, “Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them;”
1. Take heed to your worship, John 4:23-24, “But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24-God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
2. Take heed to your ways, Psalm 39:1-2, “I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me. 2- I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.”
3. Take heed that you do not turn aside from the Lord, Deuteronomy 5:32, “Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.”
4. Take heed that you don’t rob God, Deuteronomy 26:10, “And now, behold, I have brought the firstfruits of the land, which thou, O LORD, hast given me. And thou shalt set it before the LORD thy God, and worship before the LORD thy God:”
5. Take heed to remember who the Lord is, Joshua 5:14, “And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?”
6. Take heed not to forget His house, Psalms 5:7, “But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.”
7. Take heed that your worship is not that of the unlearned, Acts 17:23, “For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.”
a. Many today think that there is no need to study God’s Word, 2 Timothy 2:15, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
b. Don’t be willfully ignorant, Psalm 73:21-22, “Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. 22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.”
c. Let people know that you have been with Jesus, Acts 4:13, “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.”

II. THE WORSHIP OF GOD BY THE UNBELIEVER
A. All that live upon the earth will worship God, Revelation 13:8, “And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.”
B. All men will acknowledge Him as Lord, Philippians 2:10, “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;”
C. Before Herod He was mocked, Matthew 27:29, “And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!”
D. The next time Jesus appears He will come as the King, Psalm 22:28, “For the kingdom is the LORD’S: and he is the governor among the nations.”
E. It will truly be a triumphal entry, Zechariah 9:9, “Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.”
F. His enemies will be subdued, Psalm 72:9, “They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before him; and his enemies shall lick the dust.

CONCLUSION
The Lord met with His people on the first day of the week after His resurrection. He still meets with us on that day and it is a day of learning and worship. It is a great tragedy when God’s people take it lightly and put other things in it’s place. If we think God does not take note of this, we are mistaken. Whatever the reason for missing God’s time of worship it is not sufficient.
Vital lessons are learned during that time of worship and we need those lessons in order to make our life count for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment