Wednesday, June 30, 2010

LIVING FOR CHRIST--PHILIPPIANS 1:12-26

LIVING FOR CHRIST

PHILIPPIANS 1:12-26



Key verse is v. 21, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”

Introduction:

The life of the Believer in Jesus Christ is a life of peace and joy. It is not without difficulty, but even in those difficulties he finds peace and joy in the Lord.

Paul served the Lord with everything he had. His zeal for the Lord was second to none. He suffered “great things” for the Gospel’s sake, yet he continues to rejoice as he lived for Christ. We can find some encouragement for ourselves in this.

I. FOR ME TO LIVE IS CHRIST



A. Jesus Christ is the principle person of my life.

1. He is the life of the believer, John 14:6, “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

2. He lives in the believer, Galatians 2:20, “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

a. That is the promise of the Lord, John 14:19-20, “Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.”

b. Thus, Christ is the principal influence in my life, Ephesians 2:1, “And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;”

B. Christ is the end of my life, Romans 14:8, “For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s.”

C. Christ is the joy of the Believer’s life, Psalm 43:4, “Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.”

1. The Believer sings unto the Lord, Psalm 71:23, “My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.”

2. He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, Isaiah 61:10, “I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.”

3. Even in difficulty the Believer rejoices in the Lord, Habakkuk 3:17-18, “Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: 18Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.”

II. AND TO DIE IS GAIN



A. To the Believer death is great gain.

1. He gains freedom for the burden of a sin nature that always dogs him down, Psalm 31:10, “For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed.”

2. Believers at death gain the glorious sight of God.

a. They shall behold Jesus, as He is, 1 John 3:2, “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”

b. There they will realize the “fullness of joy,” Psalm 16:11, “Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”

2. Not only will the Believer enjoy the sight of God, but they will enjoy His love also.

a. There will be no veil over the eyes, 1 Corinthians 13:12, “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

b. We will speak to Him as a man speaks to his friend.

1) As He spoke with Moses, Exodus 33:11a, “And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.”

2) The Believer is the Lord’s friend when he does what God has commanded, John 15:13-14, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.”

3. The Believer gains his Celestial home.

a. This home is not made with hands, 2 Corinthians 5:1, “For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.”

b. It is their Father’s house, not the landlord’s, John 14:2, “In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.”

4. It will be a good neighborhood. Only saints live there with the Lord, John 17:24, “Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.”

CONCLUSION

This is not the end of the story. There are many things that were not mentioned here. There is great joy in living for the Lord and on the other side of this life is greater joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment