We have been changed by trusting Jesus Christ as our Saviour. You as an individual are no longer the same as you were before you received Christ. The Lord said in John 15:19, “If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.” Let’s consider what has happened to us.
I. THE BELIEVER ACTS FROM NEW PRINCIPLES
A. The mind is the acting ruling part of us; so that the renewing of the mind is the renewing of the whole man, Proverbs 4:23-27, “Keep thy heart [MIND; UNDERSTANDING] with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
1. He puts away foul language, Proverbs 4:24, “Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.”
2. His eyes look straight ahead, Proverbs 4:25, “Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.”
3. He thinks about where he is going, Proverbs 4:26-27, “Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. 27-Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.”
B. He makes progress in Sanctification.
1. This is the transformation, “To change into another form, to transform.” 2 Corinthians 3:18, “But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.”
2. This is the Lord working in our lives, Ezekiel 11:19-20, “And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: 20That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.”
II. THE BELIEVER LIVES BY NEW RULES
A. He is a new man that has been created to follow after righteousness, Ephesians 4:24, “And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”
1. We have been created in Christ Jesus unto good works, Ephesians 2:10, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”
2. We have been created to live by the faith of Christ, Galatians 2:20, “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”
a. Whom having not seen, you love, 1 Peter 1:8, “Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:”
b. We are blessed because we love Him, John 20:29, “Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”
B. The great enemy of the new man is conformity to the world:
1. In times past we walked in the world, Ephesians 2:2, “Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:”
2. Christ died to deliver us from this world, Galatians 1:4, “Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:”
3. Therefore we are not to love the world, Colossians 3:1-2, “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2-Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.”
a. Seek those things which are above, Psalm 16:11, “Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”
b. Set your affection on things above, Matthew 6:20-21, “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”
If we live according to God’s precepts our lives will be greatly blessed and our children will inherit a good name before the Lord who will be honored by our lives. Let’s live by His rules.