Wednesday, August 25, 2010

MY FRIEND--PROVERBS 18:24

MY FRIEND
Proverbs 18:24, “A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”

Introduction:

Good friends are hard to come by and should be valued. I have not had many close friends in my life, but there is One Friend that I value above all others.

Oh, ray of light, my friend!
When sorrow’s gloom made life so drear,
Then comfort sweet thy words did lend,
As if Christ spake, “Be of good cheer!”

Oh, rock of strength, my friend!
When shifting sands beneath my feet
And changing scenes my steps attend,
Thy truth and constancy are sweet.

I clasp thy hand, my friend!
Thank God that thou art here;
I am not worthy He should send
To me a gift so dear.

--Author Unknown

I. MY FRIEND IS A RAY OF LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS
A. The LORD is my light, Psalm 27:1, The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

B. He is a “Sun,” Psalm 84:11, “For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.”

1. An everlasting light, Isaiah 60:19, “The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.”

2. Thy sun shall no more go down, Isaiah 60:20, “Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.”

C. He has called us our to darkness, 1 Peter 2:9, “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:”

1. His light opens our eyes to see the truth, Psalm 36:9, “For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.”

2. That light belongs to the upright who have trusted Him as Savior, Psalm 112:3, “Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.”

II. MY FRIEND IS A ROCK OF STRENGTH IN DIFFICULT TIMES
A. His light is my strength Psalm 18:2, “The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.”

1. There is no strength like that of our God, Psalm 18:31, “For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?”

2. He established my goings, Psalm 40:2, “He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.”

3. “When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I,” Psalm 61:2, “From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”

B. He is my defense.

1. I shall not be greatly moved, Psalm 62:2, 6-7, “He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.”

2. I shall not be moved, Psalm 62:6-7 “He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. 7-In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.”

III. MY FRIEND STAYS CLOSER THAN A BROTHER.
A. He is a always there for me, Psalm 71:3, Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.

B. A friend loveth at all times, Proverbs 17:17, A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

C. He is a friend with hearty counsel, Proverbs 27:9, “Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man’s friend by hearty counsel.”

1. He gives “a word spoken in due season,” Proverbs 15:23, “A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season how good is it!”

2. He gives “pleasant words” to encourage, Proverbs 16:23-24, “The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips. 24-Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.”

a. Rest, Matthew 11:28, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

b. Life, John 1:4, “In him was life; and the life was the light of men.” John 3:15, “That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.”

CONCLUSION

Jesus states the conditions to be His friend: John 15:14-15, “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15-Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.”

Jesus has told us what to expect in the future. I trust that He is your Friend and Saviour by faith in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment