Wednesday, August 25, 2010

“THOU WHOM MY SOUL LOVETH"- -SONG OF SOLOMON 1:1-7

“THOU WHOM MY SOUL LOVETH"
SONG OF SOLOMON 1:1-7

Key Verse: v. 7, “Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon: for why should I be as one that turneth aside by the flocks of thy companions?”

Introduction:

It is great to say without any “if” or “but” “Thou whom my soul loveth.” Many today can only say that they “hope” they love Him. It is a wonderful thing to know Jesus Christ as Savior and to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that your love is real and vibrant for Him.

One of the signs of the “last days” is that the love of many will wax or become cold toward the things of God. That must be a false love!

I. THE SAINTS OF OLD DID NOT SPEAK OF “IF” OR “BUT” BUT SPOKE POSITIVELY AND PLAINLY

A. The Apostle Paul spoke positively, 2 Timothy 1:12, “For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.”

1. Paul knew Christ, Philippians 3:8,10 “Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 10- That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;”

2. Paul had joy and peace in believing that abounded in hope, Romans 15:12-13, “And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust. 13- Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.”

B. Job spoke positively about his love for the Lord, Job 19:25, “For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth;”

1. Job’s love for the Lord caused him to know that God would save his life, Job 33:23-24, If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness: 24- Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom.”

2. Job knew that he would see his Savior in his flesh, Job 19:26-27, “And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: 27- Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.”

C. David knew who was his Shepherd, Psalms 23:1, “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.”

D. The Saints in general of the New Testament, 1 Peter 1:8, “Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:”

II. TRUE LOVE TO CHRIST IS THE HOLY SPIRIT’S WORK

A. Why do we love Jesus Christ? Because He loved us first, 1 John 4:19, “We love him, because he first loved us.”

1. We love him even though we have never seem Him, 1 Peter 1:8, “Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:”

2. We love Him because He choose to save us of His own will, James 1:18, “Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.”

B. Why do we love Jesus? Because he "gave himself for us,” Titus 2:14, “Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.”

1. To redeem us from our sins, Matthew 1:21, “And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.”

2. He has saved us that we might serve the God of Heaven, Hebrews 9:14, “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”

C. Why do we love Jesus? Because of the Excellency of his person.

1. He has a more excellent name than the angels, Hebrews 1:4, “Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.”

2. His beauty is more excellent than anyone, Psalms 27:4, “One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.”

3. For His goodness to us, Psalms 31:19, “Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!”

D. Jesus is altogether lovely in our lives, but there is a note of sadness, Ezekiel 33:32, “And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.”

1. Many gather to hear His words that are like a love song, but are not moved to trust Him, Luke 22:67, “Art thou the Christ? tell us. And he said unto them, If I tell you, ye will not believe:

2. But they neglect to do His Word, James 1:22-25, “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23- For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24- For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25- But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.”

CONCLUSION

We love Him because He first loved us. The old saints knew in whom they had believed. Nothing dissuaded them from their faith. They labored for the Lord looking for His soon return to take them to be with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment