Wednesday, August 25, 2010

THE TRIAL OF YOUR FAITH--1 PETER 1:1-9

THE TRIAL OF YOUR FAITH
1 PETER 1:1-9
Key verse: v. 7, “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:”

Introduction:

What do you think of the trials that a believer might go through? Do you consider them punishment for sin? Do you think perhaps that God is unjust in allowing you to go through these difficulties?

The Bible teaches that the trial of our faith is a good thing. God’s purpose in allowing to go through trials is to increase our faith and trust in Him. Consider the following:

I. OUR FAITH IS A PRECIOUS FAITH
A. Precious faith is more precious than gold, v. 7; 2 Peter 1:1, 4, “Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: 4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”

1. There is only ONE FAITH, Ephesians 4:5, “One Lord, one faith, one baptism,”

2. It is through the Righteousness of Jesus Christ, 1 Corinthians 1:30, “But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.”

3. By faith in Christ we have received the great promises of His Word, 2 Corinthians 7:1, “Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”

B. Precious faith has a lively hope, v. 3; Colossians 1:23, 27, “If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; 27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:”

1. It is grounded and settled, and easily not moved, Colossians 2:6-7, “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him : 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.”

a. David’s conviction, Psalm 62:2, “He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence ; I shall not be greatly moved.”

b. David’s conviction grew stronger, Psalm 62:6, “He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.”

2. It is an unmovable faith that abounds, 1 Corinthians 15:58, “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.”

II. OUR FAITH NEEDS TO BE TRIED FATIH
A. Tried Faith is not a strange thing, 1 Peter 4:12, “Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:”

B. Tried Faith reveals our heart, Deuteronomy 8:2, “And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.”

C. Tried Faith brings experience, Psalm 66:10-12, “For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried. 11 Thou broughtest us into the net; thou laidst affliction upon our loins. 12 Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water: but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.”

1. Tried faith refines or purifies one’s faith, Job 23:10, “But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.”

2. Trials prove the reality of one’s faith, 2 Timothy 4:16-17, “At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. 17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.”

a. It is a Faith that is exercised in godliness, 1 Timothy 4:7, “But refuse profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.”

b. It is a Faith that increases, Luke 17:5-6, “And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. 6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.”

III. OUR TRIED FAITH BRINGS REWARDS
A. For those who endure, James 1:12, “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.”

B. God will honor the faithful, 1 Samuel 2:30, “Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.”

1. Faithfulness is honored by the Lord Jesus, Matthew 25:21, “His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.”

2. The faithful servant will be WITH his Master, John 12:26, “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.”

CONCLUSION

The believer will go through the fire of testing if he is willing to serve Jesus Christ. Many of our brethren before us have gone through some terrible persecution and come out stronger, more determined to serve God. God has honored their faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment