THE DOCTRINE OF THE GRACE OF GIVING
MEMORY VERSE: I COR. 16:2
I. GOD'S PLAN FOR GIVING
A. God's Plan Before The Law.
1. Abraham tithed. Gen. 14:18-20; Heb. 7:1-10
2. Jacob vowed to tithe. Gen. 28:22
3. Abraham was very likely not the first tither.
4. Abraham's tithing was over 400 years before the Law. Gal. 3:16,17
B. God's Plan Under The Law.
1. The tithe is the Lord's. Lev. 27:30
2. The tithe is holy unto the Lord. Lev. 27:30
3. The tithe must be given honestly. Lev. 27:31-33
4 The tithe is commanded by God. Lev. 27:34
5 The tithe commanded in the last O.T. book. Mall 3:10
C. God's Plan Under Grace.1. Jesus endorsed the tithe. Matt. 23:23
2. Jesus doubtless tithed. If He had not done so, the Pharisees would have no doubt criticized Him for not doing so.
3. The New Testament nowhere disannuls the tithe.
4. The tithe is proportional giving. Proportional giving is taught in I Cor. 16:2 and 11 Cor. 8:12-14.
II. GOD'S PLACE FOR GIVING.
A. Under The Law God Chose The Place The Storehouse.
1. Tithes, offerings and sacrifices to be brought to the place of God's choice. Deut. 12:5,6,8,13
2. This pattern continued through the O.T. Mall 3:10. The storehouse was the Tabernacle and then later on it was the Temple. This was God's choice.
B. Under Grace God Chose The Place The Storehouse.
1. In the N.T. the offerings were brought to the Church. Acts 4:34,37
2. The Church is the storehouse. I Cor. 16:2. Compare I Cor. 1:2 and note that he was writing to the Church.
3. This order was given to Churches. I Cor. 16:1
4. Paul's appeals for offerings were addressed to Churches and not to individuals. 11 Cor. 8:1-7; 9:1-7. Compare with II Cor. 1:1. Individuals would give, but it was through their Church that they gave.
5. Paul commends the Philippian Church for their giving to missions. Phil. 4:10-17
6. Every Christian should be a member of a Scriptural N.T. Church and do their giving through it.
a. No Christian should give to an unscriptural cause, but through a Scriptural Church.
b. Many false causes and man made religious parasites would be eliminated if this plan was practiced.
III. GOD'S PROMISE FOR GIVING ACCORDING TO HIS PLAN.
A. God Will Bless Obedience.
1. Bountiful sowers will be bountiful reapers. II Cor. 9:6,7
2. He will pour out blessings and protect property. Mal. 3:10,11
3. Prosperity as God blesses. Prov. 3:9,10; 11:25
4. God's good measure given. Luke 6:38
5. Treasure in heaven. Matt. 6:19-21
B. God Will Chasten For Disobedience.
1. There will be less to reap. II Cor. 9:6. If you sow sparingly, you will reap sparingly.
2. It will tend to poverty. Pro. 11:24
3. It will hinder service to God. I Tim. 6:9,10
4. It will bring a curse. Mal. 3:9