THE DOCTRINE OF MISSIONS
MEMORY VERSE: ACTS 1:8
I. WHY WE BELIEVE IN MISSIONS!
I. WHY WE BELIEVE IN MISSIONS!
1. Because the Great Commission commands 1:8
2. Because all men are lost without Jesus Christ. Acts 4:12
3. Because Christ is the only way of salvation. John 5:24,25; Rom. 10:13-15
4. Because of the destiny of the unsaved. John 3:18,36; Rev. 20:15; Luke 16:19-23
5. Because missions bring glory to God.
a. It displays His saving power.
b. It displays His mercy and grace.
c. Saved people praise and worship Him.
II. WHAT IS COMMANDED IN THE GREAT COMMISSION?
1. That the gospel be taught and preached to all nations. Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:15
2. Those who believe the gospel are to be scripturally baptized. Matt. 28:19; Acts 2:41
3. Churches must be organized so that they can carry out the great commission.
NOTE: Churches on the mission field should be indigenous. To be truly "indigenous" there must be three things:
(1) They must be self supporting. (Not dependent on mission dollars for building, pastor or expenses).
(2) They must be self governing. (Not run or controlled by missionaries or any other authority, except that of God).
(3) They must be self propagating. (That is that they are reproducing themselves and carrying out the great commission).
4. The converts are to be taught the "all things" of God. Matt. 28:20
You cannot omit any one of the above and be obedient to the great commission. The social gospel as practiced by institutional missions, is not really missions. Those who merely educate, practice medicine, raise the living standard, etc., are not doing Scriptural mission work.
III. WHO IS COMMANDED TO CARRY OUT THE GREAT COMMISSION?
1. It was not given to the apostles. They had no successors, therefore if it was given to them, when they died, it died.
2. It was not given to a convention, association or mission board, for none of them existed at that time.
3. It was not given to individuals. It should be evident to anyone that while all may carry the gospel, they would not be qualified to baptize and teach all things.
4. It was given to the local Church (the only kind there is). The apostles of Matt. 28:16 were first in the Church. I Cor. 12:28
a. Jesus promised the Church perpetuity, so she will be on earth as long as there is a need. Matt. 16:18
b. The local Church has the authority to baptize.
c. The local Church has the means of "teaching all things."
d. We have the example of Acts 13:1-4 to guide us.
IV. HOW ARE MISSIONARIES CALLED AND SENT?
1. They are chosen by the Holy Spirit out of a Scriptural Bible teaching Church. Acts 13:1-4
2. They are sent forth by the Holy Spirit and the Church. Acts 13:3,4
3. They are supported by the home Church and other churches who desire to take part in this ministry. Phil. 4:10-17
4. The missionary reports back to the local Church. Acts 14:27
V. WHERE DOES THE INDIVIDUAL CHRISTIAN FIT IN TO MISSIONS?
1. By being a faithful member of a Scriptural missionary minded Church. Every Christian should be a part of one.
2. By witnessing daily for Christ. Remember the field is the world.
3. By going in person as a missionary, if God calls.
4. By going in prayer for missionaries and their needs.
5. By going in your wallet or purse, and thus give regularly, systematically, and sacrificially to missions!