Saturday, March 20, 2010

THE DOCTRINE OF HOPE--ROMANS 8:18-25

THE DOCTRINE OF HOPE
Romans 8:18-25
Introduction:
I. I CAN DWELL CONFIDENTLY IN THE LORD.
A. My heart is glad, Psalm 16:9 “Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.” -Dwell confidently.
B. My heart is happy, Psalm 146:5, “Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:”

II. I HAVE HAD HOPE IN THE LORD FROM MY YOUTH.
A. This was John the Baptist’s testimony, Psalm 22:9, “But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother’s breasts.
B. This is my testimony, Psalm 71:5, For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.
C. This is our testimony, Doris’ and mine, Psalm 78:6-7, “That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children: 7-That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments:”

III. GOD’S MERCY IS UPON THOSE WHO HAVE HOPE IN HIM.
A. According as we hope in thee, Psalm 33:18, 22, “Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; 22-Let thy mercy, O LORD, be upon us, according as we hope in thee.”
B. We have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us, Hebrews 6:18, “That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:”
C. I have courage in the Lord, Psalm 31:24, “Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.”
D. I trust Him to hear my petitions, Psalm 38:15, “For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.”
E. We can trust in His Word.
1. I hope in His Word, Psalm 119:81, My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word.
2. I can find a hiding place in His Word, Psalm 119:114, Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.
3. I learn to wait upon the Lord in His Word, Ps 130:5, I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. Isaiah 40:31, “But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.”
4. Trusting in His Word we are not ashamed, Ps 119:116, “Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.”

IV. WE CAN TRUST OUR ETERNITY TO OUR HOPE IN HIM.
A. The righteous have hope in his death, Proverbs 14:32, “The wicked is driven away in his wickedness: but the righteous hath hope in his death.”

CONCLUSION

No comments:

Post a Comment