THE SUPERLATIVE LIBERALITY OF THE LORD
JOHN 17:22, “And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:”
It would have been surprising grace if he had allowed us to eat the crumbs of his bounty beneath the table of his mercy. However, the Lord does nothing half way; He makes us sit with Him and share the feast.
The Lord will have His Bride as rich as He Himself. She will share His Glory and His Grace. He has made us joint-heirs with Himself.
I. HE HAS GIVEN HIS CHURCH HIS GLORY
A. The Glory is the INCARNATE WORD OF GOD, JOHN 1:14, “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.”
1. He manifested His Glory by His Miracles, JOHN 2:11, “This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.”
2. He is the Truth, JOHN 14:6, “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
B. He is the Eternal Word of God, JOHN 17:24, “Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.”
C. He is the GLORIOUS HEAD of the church, EPHESIANS 1:22, “And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,”
1. The Lord LOVES His church, EPHESIANS 5:29, “For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:”
2. The Lord purposes to present her to Himself a GLORIOUS church, EPHESIANS 5:27,” That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
II. HE HAS GIVEN HIS CHURCH HIS AUTHORITY
A. To preach the glorious Gospel of Christ, MATTHEW 10:7, “And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
B. To Teach His Disciples the all things of the Scriptures, MATTHEW 28:19,20 “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
1. The boundless limit of His Glory is as free to you as the air he breathes, if you believe, JOHN 11:40, “Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?”
2. The cup of God’s love and grace is at the believer’s lips, and he is invited to drink of it forever, PSALM 36:8, “They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.
The last phrase of our text says, “that they may be one, even as we are one.” In order for us to manifest His glory we must in agreement. Amos said in AMOS 3:3, “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?” The Lord is greatly glorified when His people are agreed on doing His will.