Saturday, March 13, 2010

THY KINGDOM COME--MATTHEW 6:9-10

THY KINGDOM COME
MATTHEW 6:9-10

Introduction:
There are six petitions in the Lord’s prayer. The first three relating more immediately to God and his honour, the last three to our own needs. We will concern ourselves to the first three petitions: “Hallowed be thy name. 10-Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth.” While this passage is a discussion about prayer, we will concern ourselves with the specifics of the first three petitions.

I. THE NAME OF GOD WILL BE HALLOWED



A. Jesus has taught us to pray, v. 9a, “After this manner therefore pray ye:..”

1. The Lord corrected his disciples in the manner of prayer, v. 5, “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.”

2. “But when ye pray, use not…” vs. 7-8, “But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8-Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.”

a. …vain repetitions.

b. …much speaking to be heard.

3. Don’t be like the Pharisees.

B. Jesus has taught us to pray that God’s name would be “hollowed,” that is, to be…

1. Exalted, Psalm 46:10, “Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.”

2. Reverenced, Exodus 20:7, “Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”

3. Glorified, 2 Thessalonians 1:12, “That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

II. THY KINGDOM COME



A. Jesus is coming again and His Coming will be…

1. Literal, that is, He is actually, physically coming again, Acts 1:11, “Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

2. He is coming to rapture out His people, 1 Corinthians 15:51-52, “Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52- In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.”

a. The Resurrection and the Rapture happen at the same time, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

b. “We shall all be changed” refers to our glorified bodies, 1 John 3:2, “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

C. His Second Advent will be…

1. Visible, every eye shall see Him, Revelation 1:7, “Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. Matthew 24:30, “And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.”

2. Bodily, this will not be a spirit, but the God of Heaven, Matthew 16:27, “For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.”

a. His millennial kingdom shall be set up.

b. He will rule in righteousness.

III. THE WILL OF GOD WILL BE DONE



A. Let the Lord do what he will with me, 1 Samuel 3:18, “And Samuel told him every whit, and hid nothing from him. And he said, It is the LORD: let him do what seemeth him good.”

1. Let us live within the will of God, 1 Peter 4:2, “That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

2. The alternative is the will of Satan, John 8:44, “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.” Matthew 12:30, “He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.”

B. The Pattern is God’s will as done in Heaven, Psalm 40:7-10, “Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, 8- I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. 9-I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O LORD, thou knowest. 10-I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.”

1. Not forced, but willingly, “I delight to do thy will, O my God.” John 4:34, “Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.”

2. God’s law rules in my heart, “yea, thy law is within my heart.” Psalm 119:34, “Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.”

3. The breaking of God’s law horrifies the faithful, Psalm 119:53, “Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law.”

CONCLUSION



Do you believe that prayer? Do you think that Jesus Christ would have taught us to pray this prayer if it would not have been answered? His kingdom has not come yet on earth. His will is not being done on earth. But it shall be, it will be because our Lord taught us to pray for that outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment