Saturday, March 13, 2010

WHERE IS YOUR TREASURE?--MATTHEW 6: 19-34

WHERE IS YOUR TREASURE?
MATTHEW 6: 19-34
Key verse: v. 21, “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

Introduction:



Note that the verb in v. 21 is in the PRESENT TENSE. Our future depends on where we have our treasure.
In these verses Christ gives us the SECRET to the blessings of God, that is, the secret to a happy and productive future. Happiness is not in the things of the world, but rather in the things of God.



Consider these thoughts:



I. OUR TREASURE IS THAT IN WHICH WE PUT OUR CONFIDENCE.



Proverbs 18:10-11, "The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous run into it and are safe. The rich man's wealth is his strong city, and as a high wall in his own conceit."



A. The Name of the Lord



1. STRONG DEFENSE, my high tower, Psalms 62:2, "He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved.” Note v. 6, “He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.”



2. A place of SAFETY, Psalms 62:8, "Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us." Psalms 37:39, "But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord: he is their strength in the time of trouble."



B. The money of the wealthy,… Deuteronomy 8:11-14, 17-18.



1. Is his strong city.



2. Is a high wall in his imagination.



a. The rich man of Luke 16:19-31.



b. The rich young ruler of Luke 18:18-27.



c. Zaccheus made the right choice,



Lucas 19:1-10



II. OUR TREASURE IS IN WHOM WE SERVE.



Matthew 6:24, "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."



A. He will HATE the one {God}, John 15:23-25, 23-He that hateth me hateth my Father also.  24- If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.B. And LOVE the other {the world} -- I John 2:15, "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."
25-But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.





C. He will DEDICATE HIMSELF to one, Galatians 5:16-17, “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17-For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.”



D. And DESPISE the other. That is what we are seeing today! Man has dedicated himself to his own interests and despises the things of God, especially God’s people!!!



III. OUR TREASURE IS IN THE THINGS OF GOD.



Matthew 6:33, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."



A. First the Kingdom of God.



1. The things of God.



a. His will in our lives.



1) Seek God’s will.



2) Do God’s will.



b. His blessings in our lives.



2. The things of man.



b. The Promise of God. Our Father knows that we need all these things, v. 32-b.



c. The promise is: "and all this things shall be added unto you."



d. What we need to do is put things into the proper perspective--GOD FIRST!!!!!!



B. The Blessings of God Depend on US! Matthew 6:21, "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."



1. The Lord honors those who serve Him with a perfect heart. 2 Chronicles 25:2, “And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, but not with a perfect heart.” That was Amaziah, king of Judah.



2. God blesses those who faithfully serve Him.



CONCLUSION



WHERE IS YOUR TREASURE???!!!



IS YOUR TREASURE IN THE LORD OR IN THE WORLD?



The Bible says you cannot serve TWO MASTERS.



WHO IS YOUR MASTER TODAY?



Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30 “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.



Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.



For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment