Thursday, August 26, 2010

ABRAHAM- -A WIFE FOR ISAAC- -GENESIS 24:1-67

ABRAHAM- -A WIFE FOR ISAAC
GENESIS 24:1-67

Introduction:
The story of the choosing of a bride for Isaac parallels the work of the Holy Spirit as He works among God’s in preparation for the Marriage of the Lamb of God.

In this story we see how Abraham sent his servant to do his bidding for a wife for Isaac from among his own people.

I. THE MAN
A. The Servant

1. He is a trusted servant.

a. He was over his whole house.

b. He may have been Eliezer, Genesis 15:2, “And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?”

2. Abraham put the great responsibility of finding a wife for Isaac on his servant, vs. 3-4.

3. He chooses from among Abraham’s own people, v. 4, “But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.”

B. The Symbol

1. The servant typical of the Spirit of God.

a. He does the bidding for his master.

b. He follows the instruction of his master.

2. The service of the Spirit.

a. The Spirit of God works among God’s people choosing a bride for Christ.

b. He has the criteria of the Word of God with which to choose that bride. He looks for a “chaste virgin,” 2 Corinthians 11:2, “For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.”

II. THE MISSION

A. The trusted servant of Abraham.

1. This man was a man who Abraham trusted.

a. The servant gave his word, vs. 3-4, “And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth…thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

b. He kept his word, v. 10, “And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor.”

2. Abraham servant trusted in the guidance of Jehovah God, vs. 12, “And he said, O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.

B. The trusted Spirit of the Father.

1. The Holy Spirit has the responsibility to negotiate for the Father here on earth, John 16:13-14, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.”

2. Jesus left Him in charge after His ascension to the Father.
III. THE MARRIAGE

A. The son of Abraham.

1. Isaac was a promised son, Genesis 15:4, “And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.”

2. He was the son of Abraham by a miracle birth.

3. His father sent a servant to choose a bride for his son from among his own people.

B. The Son of God.

1. The Son of God was a promised Son born of the virgin Mary, Isaiah 7:14.

2. His marriage is called the marriage of the Lamb of God, Revelation 19:7-8, “Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.”

a. The bride shall be from among God’s people.

b. The bride shall be pure and chaste, 2 Corinthians 11:2, “For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.”

CONCLUSION

The story of the choosing of a wife for Isaac is one of those happy ending stories. The story of the Bride of Jesus Christ will also have a happy ending.

The Spirit of God is busy working among the people of God today to make them a pure and peculiar people from whom He will choose the bride of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment