Wednesday, August 25, 2010

THY GOOD SPIRIT- -NEHEMIAH 9:20

THY GOOD SPIRIT
PART 2
NEHEMIAH 9:20,
“Thou gavest also thy good spirit to instruct them, and withheldest not thy manna from their mouth, and gavest them water for their thirst.”

Introduction:

This is the second message of the series on “thy good Spirit.” The first message dealt with the Holy Spirits work in regard to His leadership, guidance in the life of the believer.

This message will deal with the more personal aspects of the Spirit in the life of the believer.

I. HE IS GOOD IN A BENEVOLENT WAY

Characterized by or expressing goodwill or kindly feelings:

A. The Spirit of God BEARS WITH THE STUBBORNESS of His people, Acts 7:51, “Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.”

1. He is PATIENT, Exodus 34:6, “And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,”

2. He is TENDER in MERCY, Psalms 25:6, “Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old.”

3. He is FORGIVING, Psalms 103:3, “Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;”

B. The Spirit is KIND to God’s people, Isaiah 54:10, “For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my KINDNESS SHALL NOT DEPART FROM THEE, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee.”

1. The love of God for His people is an everlasting love, Jeremiah 31:3, “The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.”

2. God has given His Word, Isaiah 51:6, “Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.”

C. The Spirit’s striving with our rebellious wills, Matthew 9:13, “But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

D. The Spirit trains us as a loving parent cares for his child, Psalms 142:4, “I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. 5 I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.”

II. THE SPIRIT WORKS EFFECTIVELY

A. All his works are of the highest degree:

1. He suggests GOOD THOUGHTS, Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

2. He prompts GOOD ACTIONS, Galatians 6:10, “As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.”

a. The opportunity to redeem the time, Ephesians 5:16-17, “Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17- Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.”

b. We need wisdom in order to be able to do good in spite of Satan, Ephesians 6:13, “Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.”

III. THE SPIRIT OF GOD IS A GOOD INFLUENCE

A. They who obey Him DO GOOD.

1. Jesus, being our EXAMPLE, did the will of His Father, John 5:30, “I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.”

2. Jesus DELIGHTED in doing the will of the Father, Psalms 40:7-8, “Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, 8- I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.”

3. He did NOT seek to PLEASE HIMSELF, Romans 15:3, “For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.”

B. They who live under his power RECEIVE GOOD, James 1:17, “Every GOOD GIFT and every PERFECT GIFT is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

1. The ACT of giving, Colossians 1:15, “Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:”

a. The Lord gave us a Savior, Hebrews 12:2, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

b. The Lord gave us opportunity to trust Him, Ephesians 1:13, “In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,”

2. The gift ITSELF, Romans 5:16, “And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.”

a. The perfect gift of life by grace through faith in Christ, Ephesians 2:8, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:”

b. The perfect gift of righteousness is by faith in Jesus Christ, Romans 5:17, “For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)”

CONCLUSION

No comments:

Post a Comment